The open air museum
The museum has more than 60 vintage buildings which show the building traditions in Trøndelag, from town and country, from mountain to coast and from Sami huts to city mansions. The stave church from Haltdalen dates from 1170, but the majority of the houses are from the 18th and 19th centuries.
The museum dates back to 1909, when a group of Trondheim residents started to collect "characteristic examples of the way houses were built in earlier times". In 1914 the area surrounding the ruins of King Sverre's medieval castle was appropriated for the site of the new open-air museum. The area covers around 75 acres, but so far only half of this has been fenced in and used.